The Ultimate Laptop Renting Guide
Finding the right laptop can be tricky. There are so many different types to choose from and since technology is always changing and improving, it can be difficult to know if you're getting cutting edge technology or almost-obsolete equipment.
We pooled our computer experts here at Buddy's Home Furnishings and came up with what we think is the best laptop renting guide.
What's the biggest reason you want a laptop over a traditional desktop computer? Portability. Even if you only want to move between your desk, the couch, and your bed, don't skimp on battery life and then suffer for it later. Compare the battery life between different laptops and pick the one that offers the best mixture between performance and longevity.
Just like with people, it's what's on the inside that counts. You should take a look at the:
- RAM - Don't settle for less than 4 GB. The more RAM you have, the better your computer will handle performing several things at once (e.g., streaming a movie, playing a game, and running applications at the same time)
- CPU - CPUs will come in the form of AMD E Series, Intel Pentium, Intel Core M, or others. This will affect the performance of your laptop so it pays to compare and contrast several different ones. This can also affect the battery life.
- Hard drive - While in this case bigger is usually better, you'll want to focus on a fast hard drive over a big one. A 320 GB hard drive is generally enough storage space, though bigger hard drives are becoming less expensive.
- Display - The more pixels, the better the picture. 1366 x 768 pixel resolutions are okay, but aiming for 1600 x 1920 and up will offer you a better picture.
- Graphics chip - For basic laptop use such as surfing the web and watching videos, an integrated graphics chip should be just fine. If you're a gamer, video editor, or are interested in high level graphics that won't slow down your computer, a discreet graphics processor will be beneficial.
- Touchscreen - Touchscreen has come a long way in the last ten years, even the last five. No longer just for smartphones, touchscreen laptops offer a more immersive technology experience.
- CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drives - Thanks to the popularity of digital software and streaming services, optical drives are not as popular as they once were. If having a CD, DVD, or Blu-Ray drive is important to you, ensure that the laptop you choose includes one.
Choosing the right size for your laptop is very important. The size will affect the portability, weight, and ease of use.
- 11-12 inches - A model this size will be thin, light, and compact. It will be very easy to transport, though may not deliver a good video-watching experience.
- 13-14 inches - This is the size you want if you're looking for the perfect balance between portability and ease of use.
- 15 inches - This is the most popular size and for good reason. Though this size can be a little on the heavy side (around 5 pounds), you can find some models that weigh less if you skip the optical drive (CD drive).
- 17-18 inches - This is the laptop you want for at-home use. It will be fairly heavy (7 pounds or more). But what it lacks in portability, it makes up for in ease of use. This is a powerful machine that's great for watching movies on the large screen.
Keyboard and Trackpad
This goes alongside the size. No matter what you plan to use the computer for, having a comfortable keyboard and trackpad are extremely important because you'll use them the entire time. The keys of the keyboard should be placed far enough apart that you don't risk hitting the wrong one or multiple at a time. The trackpad should be appropriately responsive to touch as well as smooth
Laptop/tablet hybrids have become popular in the last year or two. They offer the user the choice to switch between using the piece or technology as a laptop or a tablet. These can provide the ultimate portability but at the price of high-level performance. If you don't plan on needing high computing power, this could be the right choice for you. Since it's a new field, many people prefer trying them out first without commitment, such as you can do at Buddy's Home Furnishings.
To Sum Up
In today's tech-centric world, we're more and more attached to our laptops. Every laptop has strengths and weaknesses and only when you understand what they are, can you find the perfect one for you.
Still unsure of which one to get? Don't worry, Buddy's makes it easy. Simply rent a laptop that you'd like to try, such as our Asus touchscreen laptop. While renting it, you have the option to return it at any time, no-hassle. If you decide that it's the one for you, finish out your rental term and the laptop is yours to own! It just doesn't get easier than that.
To learn more about our stock of rent to own laptops, pay your local Buddy's showroom a visit today.